Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday 31 March 2008

My 1st pregnancy - the trip so far

I'm now 8 weeks pregnant (according to the ticker) and I've quite enjoyed it so far. This is what I remembered happening to me:

Before I tested
I'd suspected I was pregnant because I'd missed my period and I'm never late. Plus I checked up on symptoms and I had about three of them: I had a strange, metallic taste in my mouth, my boobs were sore and I was feeling rather tired. I stopped my regular evening vodka lemonades right away even though I hadn't tested.

Big fat positive!
I'll always remember how happy I was to see the plus sign in the test window, the delight on Top Monkey's face when he came in to see the results and how we'd hugged and grinned together, looking at the stick. I was so happy because I'd fully expected to try for at least 6 months before I saw a positive result and to see it at our first official try was just fantastic.

1st scan
That was a magic moment, seeing our baby for the first time. It was still an embryo, still attached to a yolk sac (made me think of a baby chick!) but it was there, in the right place, healthy and I couldn't believe it.

Telling the family
Hehe, I'll always remember the squeals of delight from my MIL. I'll always remember how happy Mum and Dad looked when I came home for a visit, they'd waited so long for a grandchild and now it looks like they'll get one before the year is out.

Our big scare... and our big smiles later
Yikes. I remember how my heart just stopped when I saw the slight brownish tinge to my discharge that night. That long awful wait for morning to come so that I could call the doctor. Another awful wait before we were called in to see him and he did a scan right away. The relief I felt when I saw our baby appear on the scan and the doctor reassuring me that she was doing beautifully. Phew. That moment when we heard her tiny heart beat for the first time, I challenge you not to have a tear in your eye when this happens to you!


I'm only remembering the good stuff because the bad stuff seems so minor - the stupid barfy feeling, my digestive system slowing down (if I don't eat dinner by 7pm, I'm in big trouble), the tiredness, the sore boobs, the fatigue that can hit at any moment - I take this all as signs that our little one is coming along nicely.

The brownish tinge has disappeared. The doctor prescribed some progesterone pills for me as a precaution, I'm supposed to take one twice a day and they seem to work. The morning sickness has more or less subsided, so I'm concentrating on eating. I didn't gain much weight in the last month because most of what I ate just came out later anyway, so maybe this is my chance to feed the Little Monkey better.

I'm feeling very happy and I'm positively radiating love, peace and understanding at the moment. I'm thinking happy thoughts and picturing happy kiddy moments, not really thinking of labour pains and epidurals now, hehe. That will come soon enough. Top Monkey has started wandering into Mothercare outlets and looking at prams and childseats and things, I adore it that he's involved. He told me that from time to time, he'll break out into a big happy grin in the office because he's thinking about the baby.

So there you go. A little summary of the past few weeks for me. It's been great so far, I am so looking forward to our little one's arrival!

No comments: