Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday 25 March 2008

My single biggest fear now - Miscarriage

I am so sad now. I've just been to my regular baby forum, Babycentre, and a member just posted that she'd miscarried at 10 weeks. I had tears in my eyes reading her post and I wrote her a note, but I didn't really know what to write to comfort her. What do I say? "I'm sorry for your loss" ? As if those words could help. I can imagine just how she feels because I too have a fear of that happening to me and I know that if that should happen, no words would ever comfort me. This is my single biggest fear at the moment, displacing cockroaches which have reigned at the top of my all-time Fear List since I was old enough to walk.

I am 6 weeks pregnant, it's early days yet and I have to admit the thoughts of a miscarriage are never far away. I often dream of bleeding and wake up frozen with fear. I did a check on miscarriages on the Babycentre site and it is estimated that 15% of women will miscarry and 98% of those who do will lose their baby in the first 13 weeks. This is the reason why I haven't really told many people about this pregnancy. You might think it's silly not to tell when I keep a public blog but you see.. this blog is for me to pen down my thoughts and most of my friends in real life don't know yet about this blog. Except two and I've known them all my life. :))

This is a list of risks that could make you more likely to miscarry:

  • if you smoke
  • if you have a high caffeine intake
  • if you drink a lot of alcohol
  • have had miscarriages
  • have fibroids or an abnormally shaped uterus
  • have lupus
  • have diabetes, kidney disease or thyroid disease
  • had an infection early in pregnancy e.g. rubella
  • are an older mum. (Erm.. that's me since I'm over 30. Sigh)

One sentence didn't seem particularly comforting - "Even healthy young women with no known risk factors can miscarry." WTF??? That's not what I want to hear! What I want to hear is "We know what you should do so that you carry your baby to full term"!!! You could look upon miscarriage as nature's way of ensuring that only the fittest survive but that is scarcely comforting words for a mother to hear especially if it's her first pregnancy and she really, really wants the baby.

So how would you know if you're miscarrying? Well, if you're having period-like cramps and you're bleeding heavily, that's one of the signs. If you notice spotting on your knickers or on the toilet tissue, call your doctor. According to the article, it's a fairly common occurence but call your doctor anyway. Better be paranoid than sorry, I think.

The good news is that most women are able to get pregnant again after a miscarriage and carry their baby to full-term. Erm, that is nice to know that you can try again but even this isn't really comforting enough when you miscarry. All you're thinking of is your baby.

I'm trying to be positive, chill out and not stress myself out over this, do things like visualise a safe pregnancy and a happy, healthy baby to hold at the end of it all but I can't rid myself of the image of bloodstains and tears. Everytime I go to the loo, I squeeze my eyes shut for a little bit and say a little prayer before I peek at the toilet tissue. I have a little heart attack every day over this and I'll probably go on having them until Little Monkey is born.

For J, what can I say... sorry isn't really the word for times like these. You are in our thoughts and in our prayers. (((((((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))))))))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats my dear! Well done!

Don't worry, a certain amount of anxiety is normal especially during the early stages of pregnancy. Although they give you all those statistics and they sound horrible, it is important to remember that your foetus is actually a lot more robust than we give them credit for.

Usually a miscarriage is an indication that there is something seriously wrong with the foetus so the body is choosing not to allow the pregnancy to progress.

When I was pregnant, I did a lot of things I wasn't supposed to either because all the doctors were convinced I wasn't pregnant. Turned out I was in the end!

Take care dearie!

Mrs Top Monkey said...

figur8: Gosh, I'm really behind on comments! I was terribly nervous about the baby in the first few weeks, I've calmed down a lot now. Hearing her heartbeat really made me a lot more confident she was ok. And now I'm past my first trimester, so whee! I'm glad all's well so far.

CEO.Mom said...

Congrats on your pregnancy. My doctor told me that after 8 weeks of pregnancy when the baby’s heart beat can be heard the risk of miscarriage greatly reduces to about 1%. Being that miscarriage is usually cased by abnormalities which are usually ruled out around your 8th week of pregnancy and almost nonexistent by 12-13 weeks. I am currently 5 weeks and I have been feeling the same way each day I wonder could this be the day that I see blood, I have cramping which the doctor says is normal and is due to the uterus stretching. But I freak out each time I get it. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to have an ultra sound done I will be just about 7 weeks than hopefully that helps curb my anxiety. I search the web constantly to gain information about miscarriage statistics. I am 25 and this will be my second child. My doctor says my health is great and I'm a prime age to have a child but that still doesn't ease my anxiety. I can't wait to get to my 13th week so I can breathe again. Good Luck with everything.