Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Thursday 21 February 2008

Ok, so how do I get pregnant?

I wonder why it's so easy to get pregnant when you don't want to but when you desperately want to, it suddenly gets... difficult? :D Ok, I've never gotten pregnant before mainly because I'd never been interested in marriage and I wouldn't consider being a single mum. I know a few single mums who do a great job raising their child but I just don't think I'm cut out for it.

Now I want a baby. So what's to do? Well I'm doing what others are doing.

1. Getting to know my cycle
I'd been on the Pill for close to 2 years and came off it in Dec 07. They all say it takes some time for your cycle to be regular again, it takes time for the body to adjust again, so I guess I'll have to be a little bit more patient than I am now. The good news is that my Feb period appeared just when I calculated it would... so am I getting back into cycle now? I hope, I hope!

2. Have lots of sex!
I'm a stay-at-home wife, so any day's good for me! ;) I don't know about you but wouldn't you try to have more sex if you were trying to make a baby? Besides, isn't sex with the hubby the most earth-shattering ever? ;)
But there is a fertile window in your cycle which can INCREASE your chances of getting pregnant, typically a few days leading up to ovulation day (OD). Which can only mean that you have to...

3. Know how to calculate your ovulation day
Ok. This is the easier part. Ovulation is when eggs are released from the ovaries (Oh, why didn't I pay more attention during Form V Bio class!). If an egg isn't fertilised in the 24hrs after releasing, it dies. This normally happens about 14 days before the start of your next cycle and varies from woman to woman. That's why you should start charting your menstrual periods - when they start, how long they last - so that you can determine more accurately your OD. Or you could use this ovulation calculator to get an estimated OD.

This is what we're trying right now and it's great to have a supportive husband who does his best, er, performance when the dates are right. Since this is only our 2nd month trying, we'll give it a go for a bit more before turning to other methods.

Anyone out there with some tips?

No comments: