Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday 26 February 2008

Getting Ready for Pregnancy

Let's see. What have I been doing to get ready? Got the sperm donor, sorry, husband? Check. Come off the Pill? Check. Ovulation calculator? Check. What else is there to do?

I found this article off WebMD which is pretty useful if you're planning to get pregnant. To me, it's akin to getting into a car for a long-distance trip. You wouldn't do it unless you're sure the car's in tip-top condition, right?
Basic things to do:

  1. Improve your diet. Cut out the junk and focus on a well-balanced diet. This is the time to look at taking vitamin supplements. Most stuff I've read as well as friends I've consulted have also advised me to take a folic acid supplement BEFORE I get pregnant. This helps in reducing the chances of having a baby with neural tube defect. Most articles I've read recommend a 400mcg (micrograms) of folic acid supplement for women who are trying to conceive up till the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
  2. Get a full check-up. If you haven't had your Pap smear, this is the time to do it. You may also want to check for STDs. This should also be the time that you check your immunisation records e.g. for rubella (German measles). It's also a good time to let your doctor know if you have conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure which could affect your pregnancy.
  3. You may also want to get screening for potential genetic problems such as thalassaemia, Tay-Sachs.
  4. Change your lifestyle if it's unhealthy. Give up the ciggies and cut back on the alcohol. If you've never exercised, this is a time to hit the gym and get your body in good shape for the baby.

I've been going to the gym regularly since Oct to get myself into shape. My diet's quite ok, I think. I eat mostly chicken, rice, salads and I always eat breakfast. That's usually muesli and fruit for me and I'm not big on coffee. I'm not good at vitamin supplements though, I usually forget to take them! The only biggie I haven't done is the full physical check-up which I wanted to do only when we've settled in Jakarta. A friend has advised me to do it now in KL anyway - any thoughts, anyone?

I'm in ok physical shape, I think. My only big problem now is my still-misaligned pelvis but the sessions with the chiro have helped a LOT.

TM's done the same, he's a much more faithful gym-goer than I am and he's fit and strong. He's been trying to cut down his alcohol intake, he usually has a few G&Ts when he gets in from work in the evening, nothing serious. Maybe a bottle of wine over the weekend but he's not a big drinker.

I've had some friends advise me to take ginseng if I wanted to conceive. Now I don't doubt this at all because I've had two friends who'd been trying to conceive for years turn to ginseng steeped in brandy and they were pregnant within a few months of taking it. I'm just wondering - WHERE do I get it?



No comments: