Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday 25 February 2008

Introducing the Top Monkey Family - Mrs Top Monkey


Thought it was time I did a post introducing the Top Monkey family.

This is me. Mrs Top Monkey. Well, in that pic, I was about 6yo and not a Mrs anything yet. I was born and bred right here in Malaysia. I used to work in consumer marketing for the likes of Colgate but have given up all that exciting corporate life so that I could focus on caring for Mr Top Monkey.
Before we were married, I could only cook instant noodles and boiled eggs and always sang in the shower. Now apres married life, I can cook roasts and chicken rice and don't sing much anymore.


Five things my friends don't know about me:
1. I used to be able to play the piano pretty well. I lasted all the way till Grade 7 of the ABRSM syllabus before I quit.
2. I was President of the Gymnastics Club in my sixth form. This was an absolute mistake as I was, and still am, stiff as a board. I did as little work as I could and was always skipping meetings!
3. I used to be able to leap like a grasshopper. I was small but very agile as a child and could always be depended upon in the game of getah (lit. rubber. A children's game in Malaysia where ropes are made out of linked rubber bands and kids take turns to jump across).
4. I am frightened to death of butterflies and clowns.
5. I used to make up football chants for Liverpool FC for my own amusement. Example below which I composed during the ultra-frustrating season of 2004-05 (to the tune of Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious)
"Up and down domestically, now number 5 in league
Some say it's luck or injuries or maybe just fatigue
Six games to go, five points behind and Tottenham to beat*
Super Rafa's Liverpool, we're still in Champions League! "*This line would change each time we played match and the points difference between us and Everton changed
My grandparents set sail from their little village in Hainan Island, China a long time to escape the communists and to find a better life in the then Malaya. My parents were born here, so that makes me a 2nd generation Malaysian. I am who I am today because of their sacrifices. If they hadn't worked so hard and insisted on educating us all, I doubt if I would be sitting pretty here in our KL apartment and typing all this out on this fancy laptop.
My grandfather passed away in 1994 and my grandmother 10 years later, so they never got to meet the wonderful man I married. I wish they had because they would have been so amazed at how much things can change in 2 generations.

No comments: