Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday 19 May 2008

Still searching for a baby name for Little Monkey

I have just bought a baby names book and am reading it for inspiration. We still don't know if Little Monkey is a boy or girl, so we've been looking at both boys' and girl's names.

As the family name is Danish in origin (Top Monkey's forefathers came from the Faroe Islands and settled in England many moons ago), I thought it would be fun to have a Nordic first name for the baby. A friend of mine suggested Thor Heyerdahl, after the famous explorer he so admires. Thor Heyerdahl Larssen sounded quite nice. Until I remembered the baby would have a Chinese name as well and when you put that in, it become Thor Heyerdahl Chong Ming Larssen. Which then looks kinda weird, I can imagine Little Monkey getting a lot of teasing in school, I can imagine him being called things like a Danish Dimsum behind his back. Back to drawing board.

See, I never expected to marry an Englishman and to have a child that would bear an English name. I'd always assumed that if I ever had children, they would have Chinese names like me. For Chinese names, you generally have three parts. The first would be the family name. The middle would be a generation name. This bit is kinda hard to explain. For example, my brothers and I all have the character "Hui" for the middle part of our name. So do all my paternal cousins. My father, and all his paternal cousins, share the middle name of "Sai". This way, we know precisely who belongs to which generation just by looking at the middle name.

The last bit of a Chinese name is normally a name that is unique to you. Chinese don't name their children after family members, so we don't have the concept of names like JFK Jr in our culture. The middle name + your last name = your given name. Ta-dah! Confusing, eh?

Never mind. We're still searching for a nice first name that we can both agree on. I'll leave the Chinese name bit to Dad. We've still got time, I'm just coming up to 16 weeks!

Note: All real names have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments: