Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday 28 May 2008

Erm.. update on Little Monkey's measurements

Okay, I goofed up yesterday on Little Monkey's measurements. She's not really 12.18cm. I got all the acronyms mixed up from my results sheet. After consulting with my younger bro (who's a medical officer at a hospital back home), he told me what they all stood for:



BPD: biparietal diameter. This is the measurement of the widest part of the head.
HC: head circumference
OFD: occipitofrontal circumference (haven't found out yet what this is for and little bro has forgotten because they rarely use it)
AC: abdominal circumference
FL: femur length



Basically, these are all measurements taken to gauge the baby's size. The measurements are then checked against standards for that stage of growth. I found a set of standards here for the measurements above. When I compared Little Monkey's measurements to the standards, she was well in the range for a 16-week-old baby.
I don't have a full size measurement for Little Monkey on my results but I'm not too worried if all those measurements above are within the standards.



I also checked with my brother about her weight. It's listed in my results sheet as an EFW, which stands for Estimated Fetal Weight. And yep, it's true. Little Monkey weighs in at 158.77gm, about 60% heavier than the average EFW for a 16-week-old baby. Yikes! Must be due to Top Monkey's Danish genes... you know.. big, tall, blond Viking conquerors. I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the fact that I'm a much shorter, smaller Asian type and just thinking about delivering a big baby is making me faint.

No comments: