Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday 20 May 2008

Buying maternity clothes

I've come to the point where my bump won't allow me to wear my jeans anymore. They fit all right when I'm standing up but all I have to do is sit and eek! - it digs into me.

So last weekend, we went shopping along Kemang for mummy clothes. I told Top Monkey that I wanted to be as yummy a mummy for as long as I could be and he was trying to tell me that I had to accept that if I were going to be as big as a whale, I couldn't possibly be 100% fashionable. Boo-hoo. Can't I at least try to aim for 80% fashionable?

The maternity shops along Kemang had a very small selection and I was left wondering what pregnant women in Jakarta wore. Hmm... very curious. I left without any purchases but kept in mind where the shops were, just in case I would need them one day.

The next day, we hopped along to Senayan City, the big glitzy mall downtown. It was a Sunday and the mall was crowded with families on a day out. There was a Debenham's there, so we just popped in out of curiousity.
Much to my delight, two labels there carried a maternity line - Red Herring and Dorothy Perkins. Although the selection was again rather limited, at least they had nice flattering bottoms and tops for a mum-to-be. See, I'd tried explaining to Top Monkey that if I'm going to be all big and wobbly, I'd like to at least feel like an attractive big and wobbly person. :)))
They had very pretty nursing bras in their lingerie section too! I thought they looked lovely, can't wait for the time when I can buy them. No sense buying them now when I'm only 15 weeks along!

So now I know where to go to shop for my yummy mummy stuff, I'll probably just buy a pair of jeans or two for now. We're headed for Canada in June and I'll have a look-see there, I'm sure I'll have a lot more to choose from in Vancouver!

2 comments:

Shortcake said...

babe, you should totally check out what Bree Van de Kamp (Marcia Cross) of Desperate Housewives (Season 4 I think) wear during her mock pregnancy, her maternity dresses are soooo divine, it'll make any fashionista girl wanna get preggers right away!

Mrs Top Monkey said...

Shortcake: I saw one ep where Kyle McLachlan's character stuck a fork into her belly. At that time, I didn't know it was a fake pregnancy (don't follow the series), so I was absolutely horrified! LOL

I'm not sure about maternity dresses. The ones they have here are all like potato sacks...