Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday 12 May 2008

My 4th scan @ 14 weeks

Well, here we are in Jakarta at last. No more shuttling between KL and Jakarta anymore. Phew. It was tiring last week as we packed our things and had the movers come in to do the heavier packing. When I finally got on the plane at KLIA, all I felt was relief that it was finally over. Well, at least Phase I is over, I've still got to think about unpacking in our new home!

Before I left for Jakarta, I had my 4th scan. No pics this time, I've tried taking pics of the scan but it's all blurry. So I'll leave that alone for now until I can get a suitably decent pic to post.

Little Monkey is now 7.56cm long and fully formed! She's an active one, squirming away and kicking whenever the doctor pressed the ultrasound erm.. thingy against my tummy. I'm so glad I don't have to have the vaginal scan anymore, I really do not enjoy having strange things poked into me down under! *grumble*
The funniest bit of the scan was seeing her bones. LOL The doctor pointed out all her ten fingers to me. "See? Can you see?" and proceeded to count from 1 to 10. That was pretty amazing, I could clearly see tiny handprints on the monitor. Then he showed me her spine and her ribs and I laughed out loud because the bones all lit up on the monitor and it was like looking at a Halloween costume with the flourescent bones painted upon it.

The doc tried his best to get a view of her neck so that he could calculate the ratio of the neck length to her total length to estimate the possibility of Down's Syndrome but Little Monkey was stubbornly lying in a way that made it impossible to get an accurate measurement. Haha, that's my girl! (boy!) Stubborn like Mummy! Anyway, the doc did an estimation the best he could and it looks like Little Monkey is all right.
However, I still have to take a blood test in my 16th week to test for Down's. Shite. Another blood test. I can't stand blood tests!!! I can't stand needles!!! As I am below 35, the doctor told me that amniocentesis is not required, just the blood test and I was relieved because that procedure involves a very loooooooooooong needle and I can just tell I'm going to faint the moment the needle is brought out.

I also got my blood test results back. My three vials of blood had been subjected to a battery of tests and to my relief, I came back with very normal results. I left with an armful of supplements to take (multivits, folic acid, calcium and DHA) and a bounce in my step. I called home to tell Mum about the scan and she told me that such technology wasn't available when she was pregnant with me, so she never knew what I looked like till I popped out. Gee. That was a surprise. I'd always assumed ultrasound had been available since her time as a young mother.

It's always great to see the little one and to know that she's doing well. I'm planning to visit the gynae here in Jakarta on my 16th week. By then, we should be able to tell if Little Monkey is a he or she. I don't really mind either way but it's kinda nice to be able to visualise the little one in the correct gender.

At this point in time, we're hoping she'll come out safe and sound, bright and happy. Top Monkey is hoping that she'll be musical like me while I'm hoping she inherits his lovely long eyelashes, hazel eyes and calm temperament. We'll save our hopes for her entering med school or law school for 10 years later. :))

No comments: