Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Friday 25 July 2008

24 weeks and bankrupting my husband with my hunger

Well, I'm at the 24-week mark. I've gained about 7kg now, most of it going to my hips, thighs and the belly bump. I'm what my husband lovingly calls a weeble or, as we Chinese call it, the "don't tip over doll". It means I'm prone to putting on weight around my hips and thighs. When I put weight on, it's always from the bottom up and when I lose it, it's always from the top down. So now I look like a jolly little weighted doll with cheekbones.

According to here, Little Monkey is now about a foot long. How about that? He's the size of the foot-long subs we always eat on our holidays! I can actually feel he's about that length because I know where his head is.. wedged somewhere on the left of my belly, aligned with my belly button. This is also why the left side of my bump feels firmer to the touch compared to the right. I think that's why he always kicks up a huge fuss - and I mean a HUGE fuss - when I lie on my left side. I don't blame the little guy, who enjoys being suspended upside down in a bag of fluid? His feet are to my right, just where my bump's just starting to round out. I know his arms and hands are usually curled up around his head so I'm just wondering what on earth is he using to poke me at the bellybutton???

Most women take a glucose screening test about now to test for gestational diabetes. You can read more about it by clicking the link I've provided above. What I didn't know was that if you have gestational diabetes, you could have a more difficult vaginal birth as it will cause your baby to grow too large. I'll be talking to my doctor about this when I get back to Jakarta.

I'm eating quite a bit more than I used to. I would say I'm probably eating about 1 1/2 portions each time I have a meal. I can't drink a glass of milk for my calcium because I'm not used to it, so I get my milk from my cereal breakfasts and from mixing into drinks. I also top that up with a calcium supplement. For my vit C, I make sure I eat fruits everyday. I don't get to eat a lot of fish so I take a DHA supplement for my omega-3. Chicken tends to be my main source of protein and rice is my main carbo source... I am Asian after all.. hehe.

I've also noticed that I get dizzy if my sugar levels are low, so I always make sure I keep mints in my bag when I'm out and about shopping. I get leg cramps sometimes at night but all I need to do is massage my leg and I'm all right again. I need a bolster or pillow to hold when I sleep (cue hubby whining, "But what about me?") because I can't balance properly sleeping on my side with the bump. Craps with the lower back, I can sense the pains will come later in the pregnancy if I don't take care now and don't find a chiro to work with soon!

Right now, I've got this itch to go out and spend, spend, spend on baby stuff. I know I'm supposed to stick to a list and really, it doesn't make sense to buy too much because babies grow so quickly... but oh! it's so cute and I can just imagine my little boy looking so adorable in it!

2 comments:

Shortcake said...

hahaha ... if i were u i bet i will also bankrupt myself and my hubby by buying loads of baby stuff plus maternity dresses galore with matching bags and shoes and etc etc... I can so see it.

Mrs Top Monkey said...

shortcake: I'm trying not to go overboard with maternity stuff bec I'm telling myself I have to lose weight after the baby. I figured if I have less to wear, then I'll try harder to get back into normal clothes.
Haha.. the diaper bag... yes... a source of talk at home now. I was asking if I could have a Prada tote for it and he looked like he could decapitate me.